Today we're serving up an amazing egg casserole that contains the ultimate morning fuel, courtesy of the flavor and nutrition of Micro Kale Mix™. Like the classic frittata, this recipe incorporates veggies you have at home, like carrots, zucchini, and even golden raisins for sweetness. Similar to other cruciferous greens like spinach and kale, Micro Kale Mix™ adds a superfood quality that is sadly missing in many morning routines. Where else can you get four different kale varieties that offer a beautiful mix of color, texture and flavor? Nowhere but BrightFresh® Microgreens!
You can also enjoy the limitless nature of this recipe and include other veggies in your fridge that might otherwise go to waste, especially if 'food waste' is a priority in your kitchen. Consider onions, cheese or mushrooms. Zucchini is known for its water/moisture content, while carrots add sweetness and healthy bulk. The consistency of this recipe can be calculated too; if you like a soupy souffle texture, add more water or milk. If you like a firmer, eggy consistency, add a 5th egg. More bready? Double the chickpea flour. Yes, we used gluten-free chickpea flour!
This casserole is perfect if you're hosting a brunch or preparing meals for the week because it dish goes the distance in both portions and nutrition. For handy meal-prepping days, store the leftovers in wax parchment paper and a zip lock bag. One pan has 8-12 servings, so it makes a delicious on-the-go option. And take note; you can store this egg dish in the fridge for up to 4 days! As you can see below, we chose a loaf pan, but you can use a rectangle Pyrex dish and carve into squares; either way we guarantee your family will be diving in for seconds.
Some folks love to add a strong protein, like sausage, turkey or ham, so we encourage you to use any leftover turkey or ham. Just remember to account for the extra bulk by adding water or milk to stretch your mixture and gain the consistency you like. Be sure to click on the recipe video link below to see how easy this egg casserole dish really is!
· 1 cup Micro Kale Mix™ Microgreens
· 3 green zucchinis
· 3 carrots
· 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 4 eggs
· 4 tbs chickpea flour
· 1 cup California yellow raisins
· 1 tsp garlic powder
. water or milk, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl: Grate zucchini and carrots into a large bowl. (We used a mandolin because they are trending and we love gadgets)
3. Add Parmesan cheese, raisins, Micro Kale Mix™, and set aside.
4. In a small bowl: Beat eggs, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
5. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and toss to evenly coat. Reminder: if you add more solid ingredients, be sure to compensate with some water or milk to get the consistency you like.
6. Pour mixture into a pan of your choice. You can use a pie pan, a 9" square, or a loaf pan, like we did.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Top should look golden-brown. Check the center with a tooth pick and cook in 3-minute intervals until egg center is cooked.
8. Carve portions any size you like and add a dash of Micro Kale Mix™ on top!
9. Beverages and Sides: Serve with fresh fruit, hot tea, coffee, OJ, a side of bacon or sausage, or even a sweet pastry. You decide!
With our Micro Kale Mix™, this recipe is not only a nutritional powerhouse but a crowd-pleaser that keeps you and your family energized all day long.
EAT WELL. WITH BRIGHTFRESH®