Plant Based Coconut Shrimp with Micro Arugula!
Updated: Oct 22, 2020
Eating smart with healthy foods has never been more crucial...and easy! Here at BrightFresh, our Microgreens make that statement every day, so we joined forces with an amazing female-owned company, the Plant Based Seafood Co., who are creating plant-based "seafoods" and winning awards for their 'Blown Away' line. We chose the crunchy coconut "shrimp", and we too were blown away with the texture and taste, and most importantly, how well our BrightFresh Microgreens blended to create this one-of-a-kind vegan "seafood" salad.
This salad screams of "Fall", with its delicata squash, quinoa, figs, pomegranate seeds and pepitas (pumpkin) seeds. This time, our Micro Arugula Microgreens becomes the base for the salad bed and not just a garnish. Micro Arugula is fresh, spicy and nutty, compared to the full-grown plant and leaves a fresh finishing note on the palate that compliments squash and seafood equally without overpowering them. You will try many salads this season, but none so tasty and unique as this Vegan garden of goodness!
1 lb. Mind Blown! Plant-Based Crunchy Coconut "Shrimp"
1 medium delicata squash (striped squash)
½ cup quinoa
¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
4-5 figs, quartered
½ cup pomegranate seeds
2 cups BrightFresh Micro Arugula Microgreens
3 tbsp. shaved Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. coconut oil, for cooking
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (plain or pomegranate)
1 tsp. honey
1. Slice delicata squash in half longways, scoop out seeds, and slice into half-moons.
2. Toss delicata half-moons in coconut oil and spread them onto a foil-lined baking sheet.
3. Roast for 10-15 minutes until tender, flipping halfway through. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat coconut oil and cook the Mind Blown! Crunchy Coconut Plant-Based 'Shrimp' about 1-2 minute each side until golden brown.
5. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
6. Next, in a small bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients together (olive oil, vinegar, honey).
7. Toss salad ingredients together: quinoa, Micro Arugula, pepitas, pomegranate seeds.
8. Plate up! Start with a large serving bowl or plate and lay down the salad base. Then add the roasted delicata, the plant-based "shrimp", the figs and Parmesan cheese.
9. Top with more of what you like (we put more Micro Arugula and pepitas).
This recipe was a collaboration between BrightFresh and the Plant Based Seafood Co. To learn more about their sustainable ways and mission of being 'agents of change', visit their website at: www.plantbasedseafoodco.com.