Tis the season to start thinking about meal planning for the Holidays. It's not always about the main course, so if you haven’t planned all your side dishes, get a jump on it with this delicious, Gluten-Free Roasted Cauliflower Stuffing! This recipe is so tasty and surprisingly light; that's because it's only missing one thing…tons of carbs!
We’ve all been on the cauliflower train for a while; from cauliflower pizza crust to cauliflower rice and even cauliflower steaks, this vegetable is flexing on dinner tables everywhere! But not every recipe is Gluten-Free, so we wanted to go the distance because we know you'll be entertaining guests and some may have diet restrictions. And besides, the holidays are rich with breads, pie crusts and sauces, so virtually everyone is looking to lessen their carb intake.
We chose fresh, colorful ingredients, like these seasonal orange and purple cauliflower. The taste is the same, but the nutrients increase due to the seed-crossing, which produces bright fall colors.
Then we added a couple of signature items to make this dish really stand out. The edamame beans are one; their bright green color stands up when roasted.
Pecans, garlic, celery and onions all add to the savory flavors. We used extra-virgin olive oil because it too can tolerate high heat. But if you enjoy a more rustic, charred flavor, melt butter and add to the sheet pan half-way through cooking. It will add that buttery sweet taste!
Speaking of bright colors, our Micro Rainbow Mix with its dark greens and magenta purple seedlings really adds to the festive feel of this dish. Enjoy our Recipe Video below, then start gathering your ingredients, a good, sharp knife and get to chopping!
· 1 large head of orange cauliflower
· 1 large head of purple cauliflower
· 3 Celery stalks
· 1 cup shelled edamame beans
· 4 cloves of Garlic, minced or finely chopped.
· ¼ cup Olive Oil
· ¼ cup Butter
· ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
· ½ cup chopped nuts (pecan, pumpkin, walnut, your choice) (can be omitted for allergy concerns)
· 1 tsp Poultry seasoning
· 1 tsp Dried Thyme
· 1 tsp Ground Sage
· 1 tsp salt
· 1/5 tsp black pepper
· 1 clamshell BrightFresh® Micro Rainbow Mix
· 1 LB. Ground Turkey Meat
· 2 tsp. garlic salt
· Turn stove to medium. In a skillet, add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Add turkey meat and garlic salt and fold until cooked brown. Keep on low heat to simmer.
· Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease well.
· On a cutting board: chop the cauliflower’s into bite-sized pieces, the onions, celery and garlic.
· In a large bowl: Stir together the cut veggies. Add 1 cup of Micro Rainbow Mix.
· Strain the ground turkey and add to mixture. Fold well.
· Toss with olive oil and all seasonings. Mix well.
· Spread the mixture in a single layer on the lined baking sheet. You may need two sheets!
· Roast for 15 minutes until onions are soft and veggies start to brown. Pull pan out to check, then add nuts and sprinkle more Micro Rainbow Mix on top.
HOLIDAY HOSTING TIPS:
1. For Holiday dining, choose a fall-colored casserole pan. Your cauliflower stuffing can be kept warm in the oven but be sure to put a foil cap on top, and don’t heat above 250 degrees.
2. Making dishes in advance of dinner? This stuffing recipe can be stored in the freezer until the night before. Allow at least 12 hours for it to thaw. And remember to freeze in the pan that you want to serve out of!
3. Feel free to put an additional, "seasonal" ingredient to make this stuffing your own. Ours were the edamame bright green beans and of course, our Micro Rainbow Mix. That way, when people rave about the dish, you can truly say you did it your way!
We know your guests and family will enjoy this colorful and lighter version of the classic stuffing. You might even convert a couple guests to a more Gluten-Free diet! Baby steps at least! Try and let us know what you think of this recipe.
Happy Cooking and Happy Holidays from BRIGHTFRESH®