Whether it's the big game on Sunday or another kick-off party, you need a hearty appetizer that will score a touchdown with your guests every time! We've got you covered with our fresh homemade Guacamole recipe that repurposes the avocado shells into bowls and fills them with savory ingredients to make these amazing Steak Cups. But we're not finished yet - this delicious appetizer needs its most important topping - our Micro Cilantro🌱 for a Tex-Mex flair or our Micro Rainbow Mix🌿 for its multiple colors and flavors.
Flavor is the victor, so we've seasoned our steak strips with True Made Foods' "Mother Of All" rubs seasoning. Wow is all we can say, plus their BBQ sauces make nice side dips, along with sour cream, shredded cheese, onions and fresh lime.
Let's start with the GUACAMOLE! 🥑🥑🥑
This recipe has a Southwest flair with its authentic chunky, freshly-mashed guacamole full of diced tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, and our Micro Cilantro. It’s the perfect party appetizer and tailgate staple, begging to be scooped up with tortilla chips or enjoyed straight from the avocado steak cups we're about to make!
Play the Video here to get a sneak peak of what's in store next:
INGREDIENTS FOR GUACAMOLE:
· 3-4 Haas Avocados (high fat content, richer taste, and smoother, creamier texture).
· Grape Tomatoes: have more sweet fruit, less water so they are not soggy.
· half of one Red onion (finely chopped)
· Jalapeno pepper
· Micro Cilantro
· Spices to match up with TMF rubs - cumin, cayenne, salt, lime.
1. Slice the avocado in half lengthwise. Make sure you slice around the large pit in the middle.
2. After you pull the two halves of the avocado apart, use your knife to cut a couple of slices in, or score, each half. Be careful to cut shallow though. You don’t want to cut the skin, just the fruit.
3. Next, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the avocado out of its skin. The scoring you did earlier does help the fruit scoop more easily. Save the skin halves and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl:
· Drop avocado meat into bowl.
· Chop tomatoes, red onion and peppers and Micro Cilantro.
· Add all your spices (TMF) as well as lime squeeze.
5. Use a fork or a potato masher to mix your avocado, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices. You don’t have to mix until smooth. As a matter of fact, it’s better if you don’t. Fresh guacamole should be just a little bit chunky.
6. Cover with saran wrap and chill in the fridge. This will keep the guac from turning brow.
Next, let's make SEASONED STEAK STRIPS: 🥩🥩🥩
whole skirt or flank steak
True Made Foods rub (3 to choose from)
More grape tomatoes
shredded cheese, Mexican trio mix is great
other half the red onion from the guac
1. Take your whole skirt or flank steak and slice it into thin strips.
2. Place meat strips in a bowl and rub with TMF’s Seasoning Rub. Let set in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
3. At stovetop:
· Heat a large skillet to high heat.
· Drop Avocado Oil in pan.
· Stir fry steak strips for 3-5 minutes, turning frequently to even out singe and seasoning coverage.
4. Add to skillet: chopped tomatoes, red onion, shredded cheese & Micro Rainbow Mix. Then add a dash of TMF’s BBQ sauce and stir.
5. Back at Counter: On a football platter or other fun serving tray (we went all out, haha):
· Align avocado skin cups in a row.
· Scoop steak mixture into the Avo cups.
· Top with more cheese and sour cream.
. Finish with a sprinkling of Micro Cilantro on some and Micro Rainbow Mix on the others.
It's your choice, and just like the big game, you never know who will win. In this flavor contest, you decide which flavors win!
SIDES: tortilla chips, more guacamole, sour cream, various sauces and more fresh Micro Cilantro or Micro Rainbow Mix!
Like we mentioned, it's nice to create a Taco Bar setting so your guests have options.
These can be served no fuss, with take-out style cutlery and paper plates. Plan on one cup minimum per guests (you might want to double!)
Recipe makes 6-8 cups.
OPTIONAL: Pop the cups into the oven for ten minutes. This will melt the cheese and create a warm appetizer. either way, these Guacamole Steak Cups are a hit! Let us know what you think!
BE TASTY. WITH BRIGHTFRESH!