Autumn is here and this Sweet Corn 🥣 Soup with Micro Kale Mix™ is a great way to kick off the season's bounty to create a warm and satisfying meal. As the weather transitions overnight, so do our cravings for something warm and satisfying. There's nothing like homemade soup on the stove, rich in flavors and texture, but without all the preservatives and high sodium levels. But fresh corn alone won't do it; the addition of our Micro Kale Mix™ adds color, texture and powerhouse nutrients!
Buying seasonal produce is a smart and delicious way to shop that stays in tune with nature and our own body's needs. So take advantage of this harvest season and pick out the best ears of corn you can find. Pulling back the husk to reveal the kernels is one way to determine flavor. For example, white corn is typically known to be the sweetest corn with smaller sized kernels Yellow corn is also sweet but more starchy with an added earthy taste. Which do you prefer?
You'll see below in the recipe video just how easy this spectacular soup is to make. Whatever puree product you own, it will do the job to get this soup smooth as corn silk. Conversely, just like the cob🌽and kernels add texture, our Micro Kale Mix™ adds texture and earthy notes that balances out this otherwise sweet corn soup. You can add more savory notes, like black pepper, scallions or even a dot of cream to do the same.
Here's what you need to get started:
1. Cutting Board 2. Large Pot with Lid 3. LG Knife 4. LG tongs 5. Immersion Blender 6. Sieve 7. Wooden Spatula 8. Large Cold Bowl
2 tbsps. Butter (salted or unsalted)
½ cup chopped Shallots
3 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth
4 ears fresh Corn
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c Micro Kale Mix™
Side dish: French bread or cornbread & butter
Drinks: pair with a dry Riesling; the acidity will cut through the creaminess.
1. Remove husks from corn. Set one ear aside. Use a smooth-edge knife to cut kernels off 3 cobs. Then take the 3 cobs, break in half and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Chop shallots and add to pot, stirring often until shallots are soft and translucent, 8-10 min.
3. Add more to pot: chicken stock; corn kernels, broken cobs, 4th whole ear of corn, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce, and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the 4th whole ear of corn and set aside to cool.
5. Cook soup for 10 more minutes uncovered. Remove all broken cobs.
6. Take pot off heat and let cool. Puree the soup, letting steam escape, until silky smooth. (It helps to either put lid back on when pureeing or cover with a towel to prevent splatter.)
7. Once fully pureed, place a fine mesh sieve in a large bowl and pour soup through it. Shake and/or push the soup through, as needed. Discard fibers/bits in sieve.
8. Return the strained soup to a clean pot or soup bowls. (If it’s too thick add water or chicken stock. Too thin, heat longer.)
9. PLATE UP: Pour soup into bowl. Grab the 4th cob and using a knife, cut off the cooked kernels and add to soup as a top garnish.
10. Sprinkle with black pepper and top with Micro Kale Mix™.
11. Serve with side dishes and beverage of your choice.
Servings: 4 -- but this recipe is easily doubled to feed a larger crowd.
ENJOY! And be sure to check our recipe page for more savory, Fall dishes like this. If you want to stay up to date with new recipes, please subscribe to our monthly Newsletter. You can find the link at the bottom of our Home Page.
EAT WELL. WITH BRIGHTFRESH®